Recommended Nominal Input Voltage Range
Absolute Min/Max Operational Voltage
Output (Motor) Voltage Range
From zero to batt. pack voltage*
Input (Battery) Current Max
See ** Note Below
Output (Motor) Current Max
Output (Motor) Current Continuous
@ 122° F (50° C) Coolant Temperature
= 350 Amps
Up to 148 kW
Up to 265 kW
On State Voltage Drop
< 1.9 V @ max current
Operational Temperature Range (Coolant Temp)
-4° to 122°F (-20°/50°C)
Internal Temp Automatic Power Reduction @
> 131°F (55°C)
Internal Temp Full Shutdown
Suggested Coolant Flow at +5°C = ambient
Heatsink Coolant Pressure Maximum
Recommended Fuse (Ferraz Shawmut #)
Hairball Power Recommended Input Voltage
Absolute Min/Max Hairball Power Voltage
>9V / <16V
External PC to Hairball Communication
for Parameter Adjustment
9600 baud, No Parity,
8 Bits, 1 Stop Bit,
No Flow Control
* Controllers buck but do not boost so output voltage will be less than or equal to input voltage.
**Maximum battery current at: 200V = 950A and at 300V = 885A.
The Manzanita Micro Zilla Z1K-LV & Zilla Z1K-HV DC motor controller package comes complete with a standard Hairball.
All Manzanita Micro Zilla controllers require a Hairball in order to run.
The controller package also includes:
• 3 foot Cat-5 cable with ferrite to connect the Manzanita Micro Zilla Z1K-LV & Zilla Z1K-HV DC Motor Controller and Hairball
• Serial cable and adapter for connecting a laptop computer to the Hairball
• Contactor snubber diode
• Shorting plug
• Two high voltage stickers
• Manzanita Micro Zilla Z1K-LV & Zilla Z1K-HV DC Motor Controller screwdriver
The computer that you will need for programming the Hairball settings must have a RS-232 serial port with a 9 pin connection.
In case your computer is not appropriate or you just want a portable way to adjust your DC motor controller settings, we sell an appropriate Palm Pilot.
HV Upgrade - $679
-P Hairball Upgrade*** - $29
-A Hairball Upgrade**** - $97
-APS Hairball Upgrade***** - $112
HEPA Pedal Assembly*** - $189
2171S Speed Sensor Kit - $48
A50QS400 400A 500V Fuse - $79
A30QS500 500A 300V Fuse - $64
A30QS600 600A 300V Fuse - $75
A50QS700 700A 500V Fuse - $199
A30QS800 800A 300V Fuse - $74
A50QS400 400A 500V Fuse & Block - $146
A30QS500 500A 300V Fuse & Block - $146
A30QS600 600A 300V Fuse & Block - $156
A50QS700 700A 500V Fuse & Block - $256
A30QS800 800A 300V Fuse & Block - $196
EC-400 Contactors - $70
ECPC-350 Contactors - $95
Zilla T-shirt – FREE with Purchase!
The Hairball has a few hardware options that can be configured when it is first manufactured:
*** -P: The Hall Effect Pedal input option. This option enables the Hairball to use the HEPA throttle pedal which is sold separately in the Discounted Options above. The Hairball with the -P option installed must use a HEPA pedal for input, it can no longer be used with a normal pot box. Please see the HEPA pedal listing for important fitting information. This option is available on the base Hairball or in combination with the -A or -APS.
**** -A: The -A option adds six contactor drivers for controlling motor contactors. This is normally used if you plan to use contactor sets (such as the EC-400) to electrically reverse the motor(s). If you are planning on switching two motors in series parallel arrangement (this is used in dual motor race cars) then you also will want this option. The -A option adds functionality to the standard model and so enables for future expansion in case you are not sure of your final configuration. This can be combined with a -P option.
***** -APS: The Sparrow option was made for use in Sparrows but also has other applications. This option adds two contactor drivers to the standard model for forward/reverse switching of one motor. Unlike the -A option, the Sparrow option has been configured so that it can use reversing contactors that do not have built in microswitches for sensing contact position. This is good for vehicles like the Sparrow which are configured to use the ECPC-350 type contactors for reversing therefore it is better to use the -A option when possible. The -APS option also has default settings that are reasonable for a Sparrow. Settings can be changed after setting the defaults. This can be combined with a -P option.
· The Hairball interface is required to run the Zilla controller. It is included in the controller package. It enables many new features and safeties listed here:
· Control connections to the Hairball are low voltage and referenced to the vehicle 12V ground for safety.
· Controller pre-charge circuit is included with self-resetting fuse and arc-less main contactor control.
· Uses standard 5 K ohm potentiometer for pedal input (not supplied in package).
· Available configured to run non-contact Hall Effect accelerator pedal assembly instead of the 5K pot.
· Unique "accelerator to amps" transfer function for smooth starts, even in high voltage systems.
· Standard RS-232 serial port for adjusting controller parameters.
· Programmable motor voltage and current limits.
· Programmable battery voltage and current limits.
· Valet mode to allow yet another set of settings on the fly with the flip of a switch.
· Two motor speed inputs for over-speed limiting of one or two motors. (requires motor speed sensor, not included)
· Separate voltage, current and speed limit adjustment for reverse.
· Adjustable low battery voltage protection.
· Additional battery voltage indicator set point for operating a dash warning light.
· More than forty status and error codes insure easy diagnostics in case of faults.
· No serial terminal is required to read and clear status and error codes.
· Main contactor voltage drop and stuck contactor monitoring.
· Pulse output for driving a standard 4 or 6 cylinder tachometer.
· Two dash light outputs for driving a check engine light and low battery indicator.
· Overheat indicator built into dash light output.
· Inhibits driving when plugged in, also indicated on dash light. (Requires switch on AC inlet)
· Stalled rotor protection to reduce the possibility of damaged commutators. (Requires motor speed sensor, not included)
· Optionally, up to six high side contactor drivers allow arc-less control of electric reversing and series parallel switching of dual motor systems.
· Optional Autoshift automatically shifts dual motors from series to parallel and back again at the optimum time for more power and efficiency.
· Hairball code with new features can be downloaded as it is developed by means of the bootloader and flash memory, using your home computer.
· Dimensions: 3.5" Wide, 1.75" High, 10" Long
The efficiency of the Zilla controllers varies with duty cycle and voltages but is usually 98% or greater.
The Zilla DC motor controllers were born of the desire to create a substantially more powerful and safer DC motor controller with many features for electric vehicles. The Z1K-HV DC motor controllers are the 1,000 amp smaller sibling to the venerable Zilla 2K. All of the controller models share the same size enclosure which is about half the size of the 2K. There are two models of Z1k to choose from, LV and HV. The controller “Low Voltage” model will run on any voltage from 72 to 156VDC. The “High Voltage” model handles voltages from 72 to 300VDC. The controllers regulate power to the motor based on input from the throttle and it is designed to keep the voltage and power levels within the parameters defined by the user.
Every controller comes with a Hairball 2 interface box which is packed with features. The Hairball is the central connection hub for all of the smaller ancillary circuits and it handles communication with the controller as well as programmable parameter adjustment. The controllers have a built-in automatic pre-charge function to help protect the main contactor from arcing. There is also active monitoring of the main contactor for voltage drop or a stuck condition. Other features include programmable motor voltage and current limits, programmable battery voltage and current limits, adjustable low battery voltage protection and an additional low battery indicator output. There are two speed sensor inputs for motor over speed limiting of up to two motors and there is a pulse output which can interface with most 4 or 6 cylinder tachometers to show instantaneous motor RPM.
The Hairball has indicators which make it easy to tell when the battery pack is connected, how the pre-charge is working and if the controller is in run mode. There is an error indicator which makes it easy to determine when there is an error and to flash more specific error codes. The error indication can also be tied into an auxiliary circuit to illuminate an instrument panel indicator. There are more than 40 status and error codes to help diagnose problems and no special scan tools are needed to retrieve codes.
With easily programmable voltage and current parameters and power levels of up to 265kW, the Zilla controller is one of the most powerful DC controllers available and works with many different battery and motor configurations.
* SHIPPING/PAYMENT OPTIONS *
There are 2 ways to get an exact quote for the base shipping for
your Manzanita Micro Zilla Z1K-LV and Zilla Z1K-HV DC motor controller order.
us at (801) 566-5678 9am-5pm Monday-Friday or email [email protected] or go
through our Contact Us page
2. Place your order by clicking in the shopping pallet “Proceed
a. Enter your information so we can get you a shipping quote
b. Select the “Shipping Method” of preference
c. Confirm the “Choose one payment method” has “Shipping Quote
d. Click the “Check Out” button
e. You’ll receive a confirmation email of your request, as will
We’ll research the exact shipping cost and send you an invoice
to your PayPal or email or you can add it to your pallet in $1
Shipping Increments for your Manzanita Micro Zilla Z1K-LV and Zilla Z1K-HV DC motor controller order.
discounts show in the “Shopping Pallet”.
We love to meet or beat any
Higher volume discounts, price matching or questions?
Contact Carl, our resident specialist.
9am-9pm Mon-Sat MDT
or through our Contact